Thursday, September 23, 2010

Old Wives Tales

Hooray! The date has been set to find out if baby is a boy or girl: Septemper 29!!!!So cast your vote if you haven't yet :) In the meantime, I thought it would be fun to check out all the old wives tales to see what those say. Some are pretty outrageous. Enjoy!

1) Are you carrying high (girl) or low (boy)? Ugh, I think its too early to tell...

2) Hold a gold ring from a string over your tummy to see which way it swings (back and forth for a boy, circular motion for a girl): It didn't swing at all!

3) If the hair on your legs grows faster its a boy, slower girl: BOY

4) Salty cravings = boy, sweet = girl: BOY

5) Pee bright colored = boy, light colored = girl: BOY. But I know all this is based on is how much water I drink and I know I'm not getting enough...

6) Pee mixed with Draino (bluish yellow, brownish, brown, black or blue = boy) (greenish brown, green, or doesn't change at all = girl): so not going to try this - sorry to disappoint everyone

7) Fetal heart rate above 140 = girl: Last check was 160, GIRL

8) Nick's weight gain (if any = girl): GIRL - but I'm pretty sure its all muscle, so I don't know if that counts...

9) Round face for me = girl: Depends on who you ask... I guess there has been more than one person say my face looks rounder, so we'll go with GIRL

10) Larger left boob = girl, larger right boob = boy: OK, I totally thought they were the same size, but Nick says the right one is DEFINITELY bigger. Yeah, like I don't have enough body issues as it is right now... BOY

11) Acne=girl: GIRL

12) In a study, mom's guessed right 71% of the time. What do I think? I was certain it was a BOY in the beginning, but after the last ultrasound I've had my doubts... But since my initaly instinct was boy we'll go with BOY

13) Moody = girl: I'd say BOY. I haven't been too bad yet...

14) Can't tell I'm pregnant from behind = boy: There has been at least one relative to disagree with this. I think its too early to tell... If other people agree they haven't said anything... But since one agrees we'll go with GIRL

15) Chinese calendar method: BOY (supposedly this is 85% accurate) :)

16) Age at conception = 25, month of conception = 6. If they are both even or odd, its a girl: One even, the other odd = BOY

17) Ask the mom-to-be to pick a number. Match the number with the corresponding letter of the alphabet (A=1, B=2 etc). Then ask her to choose a name beginning with that letter. If she chooses a boys name, it will be a boy. If she chooses a girls name, it will be a girl: I picked 9 and 9= I. I picked Isabel: GIRL

18)What side does the mom-to-be lay on while she's resting? If she lies on her left, it's a boy; on her right, it's a girl: BOY

19) If young boys (pre-school age) show interest in you while you're pregnant, it will be a girl. If they ignore you, expect a boy: No experience one way or another...

20) Ask the mom-to-be to show you her hands. If she shows them palms up, it's a girl; palms down, a boy: GIRL

21) If you dream of girls, you will have a boy. If you dream of boys, you will have a girl: Since I have been pregnant I have only dreamt about boys so I guess its a GIRL :)

22) Pick up a key - if you pick it up by the thinner end you are having a girl by the round part a boy: Unfortunately I read the whole thing before I could do that, so now I feel biased...

23) If the mom-to-be was the more aggressive partner when the baby was conceived, it will be a boy. If the father was the more aggressive, the baby will be a girl: Haha! I thought that was funny.

So the tally is:
BOY: 9
GIRL: 8

Pretty even I'd say. Though I guess since some of the girl ones are a little bit of a stretch it leans slightly more towards boy. But yeah - not real clear cut. But these are all right 50% of the time, right? :)

2 comments:

  1. haha Brenda, this is wonderful :) I can't wait to see the answer to #23 when the final results come in!!! Just kidding, I'm actually not at all interested. Anyway, I'm so excited to finally know baby's gender!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahaha! So funny! Based on these I would be having a girl! Nikolai's Heart rate is 150 and that seemed to seal the deal that it was to be a girl with almost everyone! Except a few people who say high means boy and low means girl. I had a definitely feeling the baby was to be a boy during the first trimester. Oh,I can't wait to know either! I hope it is a boy so my little one has someone to play with! :) But either way as long as your baby is healthy! :)

    ReplyDelete