Sunday, January 30, 2011

Welcome, Princess Aurora



Wow. I never in a million years would have imagined that Aurora would come 3 weeks early. I have always been convinced that I was going to be late - following in my Mom's pattern. Apparently our little girl is just full of surprises :)

Well as you all know my water broke at 2:30AM. I was in total shock and not even sure I believed it considering that supposedly only 12% of women have their water break naturally. But after serious leakage and 4 wet pairs of shorts/pants I decided that there was no way it was bad bladder control and off to the hospital we went.

Since Nick was in Flagstaff Mom and Dad came over to drive me. I called Nick right away and he left - I don't even want to know how fast he drove because it seemed like he got there in record time.

Once we got to the hospital (thanks to my putzing around it was about 5:45AM) they checked to make sure that my water had broken (it had) and they checked for dialation. I was only 1.5 cm and 80% efaced and they said they could feel her head. Still no contractions.

I had my group B strep test done on Friday at the doctor appoiontment so the results weren't even in yet. We had to wait for the results to come in (they had to do an "express" test) before they could start the pitocin - something I was not looking forward too.

They moved me from triage to labor and delivery sometime around 7:30 (I think) which is about when Nick got there. So I was still doing good - no pain at all. We started the pitocin around 9AM (again, I think - my timeline is a little fuzzy since I was still in shock). I was totally fine until around 11AM. I kicked everyone out of the room just because it was starting to get uncomfortable and I really didn't want anyone to have to watch that.

I would say that I was in pain/uncomfortable for about another 1.5-ish hours. I really was OK. Definitely tolerable. When they started the pitocin it was at 2 (I don't know what the units are) and they got me up to a 10. By the time the 10 kicked in I wanted to die. Sorry - no sugar coating. That was by far the worst pain of my life and there is no way to describe how awful it is - you just have to go through it to know. I was in I-want-to-die pain for probably 40-ish minutes at which point I was like, I can't take it anymore. I told Nick I wanted the drugs. But he said he thought I was close. In my mind - I had hours to go. When we had gotten there the nurse told me I "probably" would have the baby at midnight, so I thought I was looking at another 12 hours of that. I like to think I am tough, but there was NO WAY. But when the nurse came in to check me, she said I was ready to push! They were all in shock - no one thought I wold have her that fast, but it took 3 good contractions of pushing, and our little princess was born at 12:53PM. She weighs 5 lbs, 8 oz and is 19 inches long. She is perfect in every way.

And I can proudly say no drugs for me :)



It has taken me hours to write this post as I am trying to fit it in between baby stuff. I know I have so much more to say, but I wanted to share this part ASAP.

5 comments:

  1. aw she's so perfect! Like a little doll! Congrats on making it without the drugs, I give you major props!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're amazing!!! Sorry I told everyone she was born at 12:58... that's what the text you sent me said. But based on what you had just gone through, I don't blame you for hitting wrong button! Also, I'm surprised you updated your blog so quickly! Try to get some rest! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats No Pain Meds!!! I am so proud of you! I knew you could do it! :) And way to go for Nick being your advocate! I am proud of him too! :) Now, you and I are the only two I know who have gone pain med free! Yay!!!

    She is beautiful! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brenda! Sooooo very happy for you and Nick! What a story! You are amazing. And Aurora is beautiful. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations Brenda!!! She's beautiful!

    ReplyDelete