Friday, May 20, 2011

Backache

So I woke up yesterday morning with an awful backache. It hurts pretty bad - pretty hard to move and it hurts when I breathe - that sort of thing. I was wondering what I did to it, but after spending a day doing the usual, I think I have a few hypotheses...

It could be the extra milk weight I'm carrying around...

It could be the hours I spend bouncing and holding a 14lb baby...

It could be lifting that 14lb baby in that jumbo carrier (making it at least 20lbs I'm sure) into and out of the car, shopping cart, etc...

It could be the time I spend driving with one arm in the back seat trying to keep the pacifer in Aurora's mouth so she will stop crying...

It could be the 2+ hours I spend sleeping on the floor in her room every night...

It could be the bending over and taking her in and out of her crib, bouncer, floor, etc...

It could be the other countless hours that I spend sitting on the floor, hunched over and playing with her...

Not really sure :) It could just be that everything I do everyday contributes to my back hurting... and I don't forsee any of that changing anytime soon, so I'm not sure what to do about it...

Yeah - it still hurts today too, even worse than yesterday. I'm hoping with it being the weekend maybe I will get a little break and hopefully feel better by Monday.

4 comments:

  1. My back felt the same way in the beginning, I don't even bother trying to lift the carseat with baby anymore it's just too heavy! I think my back started feeling better after I started working out to strengthen it. Of course lifting weights sounds like the opposite of what you would want to do after lifting a baby all day but I think it ended up helping!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mine hurt to, I guess one of the wonderful side effects of motherhood. I do yoga and small weights to help strengthen and stay relaxed. I had headaches almost everyday as well, and it has helped with those even.

    I hope you get a chance to relax and rest this weekend so you can feel better!

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh, and a grandmother of a friend of mine suggested to make sure when your feeding, to sit up straight or support the back with a pillow. Surprising, that makes a big difference too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It definitely sounds like you've over-worked yourself. I'd just try and relax when you can and limit the amount of strain you put on you back - eliminate activities that aren't really necessary (like sleeping on the floor!). I think the strengthening exercises would also help! Just remember because you're breastfeeding the only med you can really take is Tylenol (no ibuprofen or aspirin).

    ReplyDelete