Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Pregnant Workouts

I hate working out. I always have. For any of you that actually like to work out, I think you are nuts. I envy you, but I think you are nuts. That's not to say I don't like physical activity - I love soccer, hiking, swimming, etc - fun stuff :) But to do physical activity purely for the purpose of doing physical activity is torture to me. I love the way I feel afterwards and I know its good for me so I do it, but I hate it.

I hate it even more now that I'm pregnant. Before there was at least some motivation knowing that pushing myself would increase my endurance for when I played soccer or that every time my muscles hurt I was making myself look better. I liked sweating during and hurting after workouts because then I felt like I'd accomplished something. Now I don't even have that. I have to be careful not to get too hot, not to elevate my heartrate too much, not to exercise on my back, etc... I'm no longer working towards a goal! Forget results: I am continuously gaining weight, as I should be, but that is all very counter-intuitive to what I am used to with working out.

It's hard to do something when I can't see the benefits to it. I know that it is supposed to be good for me and for the baby, but I don't really feel like it does much for me, and I definitely have no measure of impact on baby. Not to mention that my ankles are swelling, my lung capacitance has gone down, and every time I stand up I have to pee.

I suppose that is enough complaining. Only 11 weeks of this left, right? And then talk about goals and motivation!!!!!! It will be very nice to work towards results (as long as I get them...)

6 comments:

  1. I know what you mean! Even simple walking has been torture! But they say that those who exercise during pregnancy have a shorter/easier labor! That sounds like a pretty good goal! Of course you wont feel the effects until then, bummer. 11 weeks! Hurray! So exciting! I can't wait to do baby play dates! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. ooh, welcome to the third trimester...

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is completely understandable and you have every right to complain! And to think, I complain about having to workout! Just remember, after delivery you may be super motivated to workout, but you need to make sure you don't make milkshakes for the baby! No joke, this really happens and it will really upset baby's tummy :( But if you time your workouts right it won't be a problem!

    ReplyDelete
  4. just wait, by the end just walking around is a workout. After baby comes breastfeeding and hauling baby everywhere are the only workouts you can do because once you actually find time for yourself, it is best spent sleeping ;) haha atleast in the beginning! Enjoy your pregnancy and do whatever makes your body feel good, whether that be working out or eating cake!

    ReplyDelete
  5. mmmm... cake and milkshakes... that sounds so yummy... :)

    ReplyDelete