Sunday, June 26, 2011

Random Mommy Ramblings

Random Mommy Ramble #1
We have bought a lot of baby music for Aurora. She LOVES it. She totally knows the difference between our music and hers. I've gotta say that some of it is pretty good, but some is really awful. If anyone is wondering - I don't recommend Baby Genius. Baby Eistein is pretty good, but Disney (of course) is the best. But a lot of this has to do with the editing of traditional lyrics and the repurposing of melodies. I'm sorry, but please do not use the melody of "When the Saints go Marching in" and write words about Tempo the Tiger. The song doesn't even make sense! And how does "Three Blind Mice" go? Yeah - "she cut of their tails with a carving knife," NOT "she stepped on their tails and dropped her knife." Also Animal Fair - it goes "the monkey, he got drunk," NOT "you ought to have seen the monk." And don't even get me started on Kukubara. Really - little kids songs are not about the best things, but why are we rewriting songs that have been around for so long? Little kids have no idea what they are singing about anyway :) But as a parent it annoys me that I don't know the songs that I used to! Not with them changing... Yeah, I know - stupid thing to be annoyed about, but when you spend as much of your day listening to it as I do it starts to get to you :)

Random Mommy Ramble #2
You know you're a mommy when:
1) Your baby girl has fallen asleep in the back seat of the car and you are still jamming out to Wheels on the Bus anyway.
2) You text your husband about poop.

Random Mommy Ramble #3
The progression of the mommy look: When Aurora was first born I used to at least shower every day. Even if that was the only productive thing I did each day at least I showered. My hair didn't always get done, but it was clean. Then I started showering every other day, but only if I'd done my hair the day before. Then I started showering every other day regardless of whether I'd done my hair the day before. Now, I will easily go 3 days without a shower and my hair is whatever. But I will say that I am much happier now that I've stopped worrying about what I look like. I have better things to do and I've come to terms with that :)

3 comments:

  1. #1. I totally agree! We need to keep reminding our kids that this is NOT a perfect world. Who cares if a woman chopped off a mouse's tail. In the end, we shoot 'em with bbs because they eat the wires in our cars. No need to protect them, less chance of scaring that way...

    #2. Done that! Did it with Dylan, and I wasn't even a mommy then! Kids, what they do to adults! :) Forget the text, wait till it is picture mail! LOL

    #3. It happens to everyone! :P I remember a discussion we had about that! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. all of these ring true!
    #3...sometimes I leave the house and realize I haven't looked in the mirror yet...I am sure this will backfire one day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I gave up showering daily years ago... about when I started nursing school! There's just no time for that. Besides, a few hundred years ago they didn't shower everyday and in Biblical times they probably showered twice a year! Definitely not a top priority anymore!

    ReplyDelete