Tuesday, August 2, 2011

6 Months

Happy 1/2 birthday Aurora! I can't believe she is 6 months already! The time has flown by. I know everyone told me it would and I expected it to, but it's still a little sad even if I was expecting it. I feel like I have done my best to enjoy every moment and not wish away the time even when it is hard (like today), but I think even when you try to hold on to the time it still gets away from you. So its a little sad that she is such a big girl already, but at the same time I am enjoying the age that she is at and still looking forward to all the fun stuff down the road.

In development updates Aurora is sitting up by herself. Jessica confirmed that today :) I thought she was mostly - but since I still sit by her and she topples over a lot I wasn't sure if it counted. But she is doing a really good job. Every day she sits up more by herself and she wants to. She is starting to get mad at me when I lay her on the ground because she wants to sit. But I want her to learn to crawl eventually so I am still going to lay her down some...

Solid foods continue to go well. She has tried and liked so many different foods. Bananas (yuck) and carrots seem to be her favorite. But she also likes sweet potatoes, sweet peas, apples, pears, and peaches. She says "mmmmmmm" sometimes when she eats and its adorable. She will eat her green veggies - like normal peas and green beans, but she's not the biggest fan. She doesn't love oatmeal either, but so far she hasn't refused anything. I'm looking forward to making her food - so far I've had to give her store bought stuff because the doctor says prior to 6 months babies are at risk for nitrate poisoning if the food isn't processed to take that stuff out. So she will get more of a variety then and it will be fun.

Sleeping is an ongoing saga. Some nights she's perfect and some nights she takes 2 hours to fall asleep and then gets up at 1AM and plays for 1.5 hours. It really just depends. I guess in general her sleeping is OK. We probably have more good nights than bad nights now. Aurora so far has been un-Ferber-ize-able (like my made up word?) We tried that whole letting her cry and increasing the amount of time between going in there, and it was awful. We did it for a week and she only got worse. She was supposed to get better. So we decided that if we need to, maybe we will try again in a few months. But until then we will just deal with any bad sleep habits she has.

I think that's it in updates. We go to the doctor on the 9th so I will have a weight/length measurement then... She's big - that's all I know now :) And she will get more shots which I know won't be fun.

So I have a long week ahead of me. Nick is on travel AGAIN. He gets back Thursday night super late. It's just hard not getting a break. I can handle the day, but it is nice to have help in the evening. And today was a nightmare - Aurora screamed her head off for a good part of it. For no good reason. Seriously. At one point I started crying because I was so tried of it and she looked at me shocked and she stopped crying and then started smiling. We were in the bathroom looking in the mirror and I was letting her walk on the counter and she turned around and gave me a hug. At least that's what it seemed like. She was good for about an hour after that, but then once she realized I was OK she started up again. I don't know what her deal was. Days like this are not fun. Fortunately we don't have that many of them.

We had a really nice weekend with Mom, Dad and Taylor in the White Mountains this weekend. I have some really cute pictures I want to post at some point, but Nick commandeered my computer so if I do every post pictures it won't be until the weekend. But it was beautiful - the weather was great! We got quite a bit of rain which was awesome! We went on some nice little hikes and just had a great time relaxing. And of course I ate way too much food as usual :)

5 comments:

  1. It was so good seeing you two! I am so sorry that she was fussy when you two got home! I hope that it gets better before Nick gets back! She does sit so well by herself! Even if it is for a few moments! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's cute that she stopped crying when you got upset - like she wanted to comfort you. Can't wait to see more pictures of the big 6 monther!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aurora and Logan's sleeping habits seem to be pretty similar. Crying it out didn't work for us the first time either, but now he cries for maybe 5-10 mins and then goes to sleep.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh ya, I forgot to mention that it took 3 weeks straight of Logan crying it out before he eventually figured it out. Don't know if that makes you feel better or worse, but at least he got there.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awe, Brenda :( Motherhood can be so difficult and frustrating, especially by yourself. I'm sorry she was so grouchy :( I hope Nick is going to watch her so you can go to the crop on Friday - you need some "you time." Aurora is growing up way too fast! She is so adorable though!

    ReplyDelete